What is integrative beauty?
***The following is an excerpt from our Guide to Glowing Skin, an excellent resource available for free download when you subscribe to our newsletter. ****
Integrative beauty takes a whole - person approach to beauty. It understands that our bodies are complicated and addresses the need of a holistic approach to beauty instead of a fragmented approach. Diet and lifestyle changes complement our beauty routines - the same way one may use an exfoliating mask for dull skin, or a spot treatment for blemishes, or an eye cream for under eye circles - we must understand that our daily choices have major influence over how our body and beauty behaves. Eating whole, nutrient dense foods, facilitating proper digestion, getting quality sleep, staying hydrated, moving our bodies and practicing self care have far greater impacts to our beauty than products alone. The following checklist are some simple approaches to integrative beauty and wellness.
Eating For Glow
Food is our most powerful beauty tool. As an indie skincare brand, we understand how products formulated for specific skin concerns or outcomes can do wonders for the skin, however our skin is a mirror of what is going on inside. Our skin is the largest organ in the body, and a lot of toxins are expelled through our skin. In conjunction with topical products, we must look to the deeper root cause of our skin and body signs and symptoms. Our diet and lifestyle has major influence over the way our body looks and feels.
"What is your skin trying to tell you? Often the skin is a metaphor for deeper issues and a way for your body to send up a red flag to warn you that all is not well underneath. When our skin is unhealthy it is usually a reflection of the internal state of our bodies, and is often a sign of poor elimination of toxins and waste products.
- Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman N.D."
Beauty and nutrition are very closely linked. Eating for beauty means filling your plate with a wide variety of foods that promote glow - not only to your skin, but your hair, nails, energy, mood and weight. Beauty foods support digestion and detoxification, balance blood sugar and hormones, enhance sleep, mood and emotional health.
Our Beauty Checklist
- Aim to eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables, everyday. Drinking a green juice or smoothie is a quick and delicious way to get desired antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that promote skin regeneration.
- Choose foods that are whole, avoiding processed foods full of sugar, sodium and additives. Reach for high quality, unrefined, organic foods if possible
- Practice mindfulness (being in the moment) in everyday activities. Mindful, thorough chewing at meals, deep breathing and meditation before bed or upon waking, turning off our screens before bedtime, etc.
- Focus on doing activities that make you feel good, including exercise that you enjoy, going for walks and spending time with loved ones
- Proper digestion is key! Healthy elimination is a major factor in overall health and wellness. Eating raw fruits and veggies with fibre, seeds with omega 3 acids (such as ground flax seeds), taking pre/probiotics and fermented foods such as kombucha and increasing our water intake are some simple ways to boost digestion
- Reduce stress - as much as possible. Ensuring beauty sleep, stretching/mindful breathing, exercise, being outdoors, at home self care practices, therapy are some ways to lower stress.
Stress: The enemy of health and beauty
You may have heard about the impact of stress on our health. Stress is a regular aspect of being human - everyone will encounter stressful situations and experiences. However, chronic stress can wreak havoc on our health and beauty. When your body is constantly exposed to stress, a hormone called cortisol is released. Elevated cortisol levels lead to increased inflammation; causing high blood pressure, weight gain, poor digestion, skin irritation, disrupted sleep, negatively impact mood and reduces energy levels, to name a few.
Although we understand that is is much easier said than done, it is imperative that we try to reduce our stress levels. Focus on the things that you have direct control over - what can you do everyday to reduce stress/anxiety and boost your mood? The simple things can make a significant difference. From how we speak to ourselves, to the things that we prioritize and the environments we choose to be in. Simply writing these factors down and acknowledging them can be an excellent first step.
When we take control and ownership of our lives, we understand our infinite power to create a life that we enjoy and are inspired by. It is very easy for our lives to be determined by the expectations of others, and when we don’t meet them or have difficulty meeting them, it inevitably causes stress. Remember your ‘why’- it is your motivation and personal truth. Take the time to figure out your ‘why’ and it will be far easier to make choices that are in alignment with it.
Your turn - reflect:
What are 3 actionable ways to add integrative beauty into your life?